Tuesday, November 6, 2012

"Social Class and Hidden Curriculum of Work" Response


I thought this piece was extremely interesting. I really saw myself comparing my grade school experiences with what I read. I found that my education fits more in the affluent professional school. When I read about the lower class schools I realized how blessed I am to have grown up in a better environment. I’m certainly not rich and consider my family and myself a part of the middle class, but because of the community I’m from (Shaker Heights, Ohio) there’s outstanding diversity amongst class, race and ethnicity. Therefore I received the chance to go to a good school. It’s so sad to me that because of your situation you sometimes can’t get the same opportunities as others. I think it’s totally unfair and completely contradicts what the American dream is supposed to stand for which is freedom and equality.
                From reading this it seems as if the school systems are set up for failure for the poor and success for the rich. The poorer students are told to follow steps exactly, are shunned for thinking outside of the box, and their instructors bark orders at them as if they’re dictators. The kid’s questions and opinions don’t matter. And what I find most shocking is that the kids aren’t taught to truly understand the concepts behind what they’re learning. As long as the students learn the basics, enough to maintain steady blue collar job s, then everyone has done their jobs. Unfortunately, there is no room what so ever for growth for these kids. Their futures don’t look as good as they could be and they’re only expected to go as far as their parent’s career wise. On the other hand, the kids who come from wealthy backgrounds are given the exact opposite opportunities. These students are challenged to recognize not only what they’re learning but how and why as well. There is great emphasis on individuality, self-expressing, and creativity. The kids can open their minds, give opinions, and ask questions. The teachers don’t put themselves on pedestals which create the drill sergeant soldier mentality like at the poor school. And so because the poor kids are poor their futures don’t look as bright as say a child from a wealthy background which allows more flexibility in the way the rich kids are taught. 

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with everything you wrote. America is about freedom and equality, and though we have immense freedom there certainly isn't a lot of equality. The reading does make you more appreciative of your own life though, but something must be done for those less fortunate.

    ReplyDelete