Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Quompt Makeup


When I read the beginning of this easy I wasn’t sure what this easy would be about. It’s such a strange title because in our culture “Dropping Babies” is seen as an abusive act. Rough handling babies’ period is highly looked down on. It makes me think about the phrase “never shake a baby” and how highly publicized it is. So when I read about how some cultures drop babies from temple roof tops as part of a spiritual ceremony it really frightened me. I don’t see how some people can see that as a blessing, good luck, or health. I instantly thought of child abuse and what if something went wrong and the baby fell and died. I don’t like the thought of dropping a baby even a couple inches because they’re so fragile. But I do think the author does some interesting comparing and contrasting between the crib and the village. The crib in this case is compared to the village people that will catch the baby when it falls. The only difference is the intentions of dropping the baby are different in both instances. The person accidentally drops the baby in the crib out of frustration while the baby is dropped from the temple intentionally for religious reasons. So why then is dropping the baby from the temple seen as such a bad act while the dropping in the crib isn’t? Maybe because the temple is so much farther up and there’s a greater risk the baby can get hurt than falling in the crib. But even still the baby could’ve gotten hurt from the crib fall since they’re so tiny. We just have to be careful and make sure we don’t let our frustrations get the best of us when handling babies because they don’t know any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment